Nine times out of ten, you’ll find the best displays in college in the contemporary childcare departments. They outshine the out of date practitioners who seem to think that static displays printed in Comic Sans are the way forward; these practitioners are creative, dedicate time and effort to their displays and get the learners involved. So, why is it that childcare departments manage to get it so right?
They see everything as a learning opportunity, they have worked in environments where doors are used to display angles, name tags teach children the alphabet, images and colours are used as signposts for learning and displays are held in high regard! So, why is this not common practice?
Well, in many cases, it is, but if you are not taking advantage of those blank canvases in your classrooms, which can be used as prompts, word walls, unit signposts and celebrations of learning…then it’s time to change your ways!
Don’t have the time? It shouldn’t be your work, it should be a project for your learners…a learning tool! Here’s some ideas for tasks…
It’s as easy as that. Don’t stick it on a worksheet. Display it!
What are the benefits?
1) Learners will retain the information much more effectively as they have processed it in a different way.
2) It can be used as an interactive learning tool. No wait, it should be used as an interactive learning tool. (Down with static, Comic Sans, pointless displays!)
3) It makes it their space. Their learning space. Ownership can be everything to some learners.
4) Always check spelling! It’s develops English skills – capital letters for titles, use of punctuation etc.
5) It develops maths skills – measurements, area, diameters, scale and so on.
6) It’s a great activity!